Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Overdue.
(Or, "A Crappy Post With No Pictures Written Hastily at the End of Another Long Day.)

I suppose you’d like to know where I’ve been. Well, here’s the short answer:

Just after Christmas, my old roommate John came out for a week, and we visited Ayuttayha, Chiang Mai, and Mae Hong Sorn- three of Thailand’s 76 provinces. (So yes, this means I’ve finally seen some other parts of Thailand.) He left on January 5th and then I immediately headed into my busiest month yet at work, and also resumed Thai class. For the rest of the month, this meant being out of the house from 6:30am to 9:30pm (or more like 11:30 if I go to the gym after work!) during the week. Weekends were a little freer, but still busy since I had inevitably neglected friends, emails, errands, and most of all sleep, during the week. With all these things to catch up on, blogging just never happened.

Now, lest you start to feel sorry for me (as if…) or imagine that I’m working more than I am, I need to point out that this is all largely my own doing, the result of putting in a lot of hours at AUA. Even when work is busy, if I wasn’t studying Thai I would be as free as anyone working a typical full time job. Thai class is eating up all my free time and making my days very full, but, for the time being at least, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I plan to add another "Attempting to Learn Thai" post soon so I won’t go into the finer details of my progress itself, but basically it is just really freaking cool to be walking around IN THAILAND speaking THAI with people. I’m still months and months away from any semblance of fluency, but there is already so much I can do with the language. A few days ago, for instance, I spent the afternoon and evening with a Thai friend. Although she’s studied English for probably 10 years or more in school, she’s never really used it much (kind of like Americans with French or Spanish), it was actually easier for us to converse in Thai. It’s just cool to be able to do this, and it provides the impetus for getting up at 5:45am to squeeze in as many hours at AUA as possible.

Speaking of which, it’s nearly 11pm… so I better leave off here and get some sleep. Look for some better posts ASAP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home