Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Weeks ago, I made a special plan for Thanksgiving: I would walk into McDonald's and order a McTurkey. Oh, the blank stares I would get. It was going to be HILARIOUS. Really it was.

Even the best laid plans... well, there's always next year.





All kidding aside, thanks to the amazing hospitality of a young couple I know from Thai class, I had a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner here. If it were held back in the States I would consider it top notch, and so it was absolutely off the charts for Bangkok, by far the best meal I have had in my 5 months here.

I ate, in no particular order, excessive amounts of: turkey (which has to be imported), stuffing, green bean caserole, mashed potatoes, corn, salad, cranberry sauce (with whole cranberries), and probably a few other things I've lost track of.


Then there was dessert: pumpkin pie that, despite being made from Thai pumpkins which are not the same as US pumpkins, was just perfect and topped with homemade whipped cream...


...and this: the best apple pie I have had in my life, at least outside of grandma's house. (The photo doesn't begin to do it justice since I had already attacked the piece before I thought about taking a picture, but trust me, it was good.) Accompanying all this pie was four cups of actual drip (i.e. NON-INSTANT) coffee, which is something of a rarity here.

Special thanks to the Scotts for all of this. Even if you did spoil my original Thanksgiving plans.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

God does indeed have a sense of humor...................McDonalds indeed!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home