Thursday, December 21, 2006

Loi Kratong.



Back on November 5th (yeah I know, I'm behind... buthey it's not like anyone knew it was Loi Kratong Day and wondered why I didn't post about it) I went to the pier at Saphan Taksin to check out the Loi Kratong festivities down there.

Loi Kratong is one of the most important Thai holidays. In part it serves as a Thai Valentine's Day, but is much more widely celebrated and holds other significance. The core of the festivities involves putting a small float with candles, called a kratong, into a river, lake, pond, or whatever body of water you can find. Traditionally, it represents giving thanks to the water for all it does for life, and also apologizing for the ways that people (especially here in BKK...) abuse it. One can also put some coins, hair, or fingernails on the kratong for good luck.


Because it is a major pier located on the Jabraya River (Bangkok's main waterway) and easily accessible by public transportation, Saphan Taksin is a complete zoo on Loi Kratong Day. It had a very 4th of July atmosphere, from cheap fried food stands to glow sticks and balloons for kids, and the night even ended with fireworks.

I bought a rather pretty kratong for 20 baht (like $.60) and went out on a riverboat to put it in the water, which looked something like this.
(I should have a photo of myself launching the kratong in a similar fashion, but the guy that took my picture was apparently so enraptured by my blue eyes that he thought it would be better if the photo included only my face. Hmmm.)

All told, it was an interesting experience and I am glad that I went, but it would have been a lot more fun if I had gone with some friends rather than going alone.

Here is wikipedia's brief article on Loi Kratong if you would like to know more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home