Monday, October 23, 2006

Coffee Bliss.




Saturday night I finally bought the voltage converter I needed to use the espresso machine and coffee grinder I dragged here from the US. Amazingly, even though I devoted a quarter of my precious suitcase space to smuggling my coffee paraphernalia into Thailand, it took me four months to get around to making the purchase. As I sit in bed, a hint of coffee shop hanging in the air, the crema of my third homemade latte still lingering on my palate, I breath contented breaths and marvel at how I waited so long to reunite with this love of mine.

That the entire rainy season could come and go before I bothered to set up shop here and start making proper espresso drinks is all the more inexplicable given the sad state of coffee here in Bangkok. But that is a subject for another day, worthy of the sort of frustrated rant one can write only after a particularly sweaty day of dodging motorcycles, hurdling soi dogs, and losing patience with constant assaults on the English language. Sitting in a state of latte bliss on a quiet, still-not-dressed-at-eleven morning is no time for complaining.

The voltage converter was quite expensive in local terms, but my hesitation was never really about the money… that was just the reason I hadn’t purchased it on impulse. My life is just so different here that sometimes I don’t know what I should hold on to, what I should leave unplugged for a while, and what I should have left behind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful.............Annemarie comments that she can't believe the boy she once knew has grown into a coffee lover, no, even more a latte lover.......its very cool, Dan. You should open a shop when you return to the states!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dan
This is Dann Laudermilch. I just wanted to say hi and that I've enjoyed your blog.
Cheers
p.s. my new email is dslaudermilch@gmail.com

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So why is it that there isnt a decent latte in all of Thailand? Does even the Starbucks make it wrong?

I admire (or seriously question...no, admire) your dedication to the craft.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home