Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Attempting to Learn Thai 11

April 17, 2007
Months in Thailand: 9.5
Hours at AUA: ~820 (Level 5-10)
Other study: None since I started at AUA (before that, some minimal self-study and 6 very poor classes at another school)

In Class:
No update. AUA closed for Songran back on the 6th, so there is nothing to tell.

Out of Class:
I went to Chiang Mai for Songkran with 6 friends: one other American, a Malay guy who works in Singapore, and four Thais. During the trip (which I will post about soon) there was a lot of English being spoken, but also a great deal of Thai. In particular, when it was just me and some combination of the Thais, it was usually Thai, and I was definitely a part of the conversation. I didn't follow 100%, but I was understanding the gist almost all the time, and following the details the majority of the time. I was speaking quite a bit too and being well understood, though I still can't really express complex or nuanced thoughts very well at all. All told, for the first time I felt that I was fully participating in long, fully Thai conversations, rather than speaking one-on-one with someone who is substantially adjusting their speech for me. Amazing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

Hi Dan,

I am really enjoying your blog. I wish Emily and I could fly out there for a visit, but on a half-time youth pastor's salary, that won't quite be possibe.

Morgan Campbell

9:43 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Morgan! Great to hear from you man, and thanks for reading my blog! I'll send an email with more soon.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home